How many times have you decided it was time to improve your emotional intelligence (E.I.) and never could? On the other hand, there always been a co-worker who actually “needed more balance” … This is the problem: why the renewal has to start at the other, never in ourselves? By adopting online project management in his/her company, the manager will have a tool that opens new ways to understand their role and the role of each employee with maturity:
1. Increased self-knowledge
• Becomes surprised when others are sensitive to your comments or jokes and think they are exaggerating.
• Projects in others the same expectations you create for yourself.
• Doesn’t reflect on what you say and what others deserve to hear.
Online project management means adopting a software to gather and organize customers, projects and tasks of the team. While everybody works using the same platform, the system makes calculations and measurements of time spent and costs. In that democratic work scenario, the manager has access to his/her own performance in the execution of tasks, tending to become someone more self-confident. Evaluating the management reports, he/she can consider whether his/her expectations are consistent, if it is necessary to be aggressive or even always defensive in a dialogue. Instead, the technology opens up ways for the manager to make more respectful and intelligent decisions.
2. More enduring relationships
• Blames others for most of the issues in your team.
• Finds annoying that others expect you to understand how they feel.
• Becomes impatient and frustrated when people do not get your point in a discussion.
In an online project management software, to create a task, you must assign the responsible for it, which can only be assigned if the system allow him to receive it. This prevents the old delays, stress and anxiety of the team, caused by demands without criterion from “pseudobosses”. In addition, in the software, each task has its data repository, with description, attachments and comments. The manager will have to send not even an e-mail to give the briefing of the task or to be updated of its progress. This way, will become a model of empathy, a leader who understands the team’s needs and open room to develop their strengths.
3. A fair feedback
• Thinks that to be admired at work is an overestimated desire of people.
To get an emotional intelligence growing and stable is closely related to how you respond to situations. When the manager stops to hear what others have to say about their management and the work environment, he/she is proving have E.I. It is simply about giving others the opportunity for them to convey ideas without being interrupted or pruned. In the same way, with online project management, the manager can reward the team’s successes, based on individual productivity rates that the software calculates – to which each one also has access to understand what to improve.
(Bonus) Why you’ll want to invest in your E.I.
See how researches show that emotional intelligence differentiates leaders from the rest:
1) At L’Oreal, sales agents selected on the basis of certain emotional competencies sold $91,370 more than other salespeople did and also had 63% less turnover during the first year. (Spencer & Spencer, 1993; Spencer, McClelland, & Kelner, 1997).
2) In a national insurance company, insurance sales agents who were weak in emotional competencies such as self-confidence, initiative, and empathy sold policies with an average premium of $54,000. Those who were very strong in at least 5 of 8 key emotional competencies sold policies worth $114,000 (Hay/McBer Research and Innovation Group, 1997).
3) In a large beverage firm, using standard methods to hire division presidents, 50% left within two years, mostly because of poor performance. When they started selecting based on emotional competencies such as initiative, self-confidence, and leadership, only 6% left in two years. (McClelland, 1999).
4) Research by the Center for Creative Leadership has found that the primary causes of derailment in executives involve deficits in emotional competence. The three primary ones are difficulty in handling change, not being able to work well in a team, and poor interpersonal relations.
5) Optimism is another emotional competence that leads to increased productivity. New salesmen at Met Life who scored high on a test of “learned optimism” sold 37 percent more life insurance in their first two years than pessimists (Seligman, 1990).
Now that you noticed how the online project management is all about emotional intelligence, you will love to know that Runrun.it exists. The software to monitor in real-time tasks your team is working on, to know when projects shall be delivered and to achieve an increase in productivity of up to 25%. Try it for free: http://runrun.it
Recommended for you:
- How online project management will help you as a leader
- TOP 5: best posts about project management
- Project management system through 5 stages